CAISTOR SPORTS GROUND

CELEBRATING 50 YEARS

Jubilee Tree
        Planting 1999

Printed 24 page, A5 booklets of this article are now available
for £3.95 each including post and packing. Send a cheque or money order
to Caistor Arts & Heritage Centre, 28 Plough Hill, Caistor, Lincolnshire,
LN7 6LZ. Further information from centremanager@28ploughhill.co.uk


INTRODUCTION

During 1999 the Caistor "Brigg Road" Sports Ground celebrated fifty years of existence. Sport was played on this field before 1949, but the field was taken by the Ministry of Defence during the war years and ploughed to produce much needed food. As the following pages tell, the field was re-sown during 1949 and is now considered to be one of the best community developed sports facilities, certainly in the County of Lincolnshire if not the whole of England.

The following pages are not intended to be read as a story, but they do tell the story of the development of the Sports Ground. They are extracts from the Town/Parish Council Minutes, and consequently cannot always be read in isolation, some need to be followed in sequence, some seem a little sketchy.

The notes from 1944 - 1960 were compiled by the Clerk of the time, Mr_C_J_Ollard. The notes from 1960 - 1999 were compiled by Cllr Colin Law.

Special mention must be made of the efforts of Cllr H A (Alan) Frankish who was first elected Chairman of the "Playing Fields Committee" in July 1963 and has been mainly responsible for the motivation of the many people and tasks performed in the Sports Ground.

Cllr Colin Law

April 1999

25th September 1944

First suggestion by the Parish Council that a Playing Field for the Town should be provided.

September 1946

Enquiries re purchase of old ‘Cricket Field’ - at that time under war-time agricultural crop.

November 1946

Council agree to purchase, with view to future development as Sports and Recreation Ground.

December 1946

Parish agreed mortgage for £750 - estimated cost of purchase and layout of field.

July 1947

Request for reduction of purchase price of field (original figure £300).

September 1947

Agreed purchase price at £265.

March 1948

Ministry of Education promised Grant of £450 towards cost of scheme.

April 1948

Agreed to commence work in field - farmer agreed to release.

September 1948

Loan of £300 negotiated.

Field to be sown in Spring 1949.

February1949

Loan repayments commenced - 15 year term.

November 1949

Parish Meeting to explain proposals and report position to date. All interested bodies in the Town invited to attend.

January 1950

Management Committee set up: Comprising fourteen Parish Councillors and seven other representatives of interested bodies: First non-council members - Hillside Bowling Club, Vicarage B Club, Tennyson Football Club, Women’s Institute, Town Cricket Club, Tennyson Institute, Tennis Club.

Estimated additional capital cost of £590.

March 1950

Estimated Maintenance costs: £100

Loan repayments: 81

181

Expected income: 60

Nett cost to be met: 121

May 1950

Further Parish Meeting to cover additional capital costs.

Fete and Dance arranged by Management Committee raised £65.8s.3d.

July 1950

Permission given to Cricket Club to prepare wicket.

The Management Committee would exercise their discretion with regard to a further wicket should other teams wish to play cricket.

Football pitch let to Tennyson FC.

Rent to each Club £5 per annum.

Sub-Committee formed to plan layout of field.

February 1951

Agreed to purchase Pavilion, estimated cost £130. Council proposed sale of chalk pit to offset cost.

May 1951

Cost of Pavilion erection £150.

June 1951

Tennis Club expressed wish to join but on condition membership was restricted.

July 1951

Wife of Landlord of Red Lion donated £62.15s.6d, proceeds of dances etc towards cost of Pavilion. Further donation of £17 also received.

March 1952

Tennyson Football Club install stove and partition in Pavilion to form dressing rooms. Management Committee reimbursed cost of materials and expressed appreciation for free labour.

Quotation for electric lighting laid on table - excessive.

April 1953

Management Committee thankfully accepted Football and Cricket Club offers to pay for seasons cutting and sundry maintenance.

Tennis Club request to rent part of field.

December 1953

After initial setting up of field agreed to call non-council members to meetings only when sufficient items to warrant.

Caistor Wednesday FC rented field for limited number of games for rent of £3 per season.

Lindsey County Council rented field for school use for £5 per annum. Rent for ‘non-games’ letting fixed at £5 per occasion.

May 1954

Review of years 1950-54: Expenses - £50 (chiefly cutting), Income - 2 Clubs @ £5 = £10.

Football and Cricket Clubs offered to double rent - gratefully accepted! Lindsey County Council asked to make similar adjustment but they agreed to increase to £7.10s.0d.

Agreed to budget for excess expenditure over income and include for payment from General Account.

Management Committee members also offered to run dances etc to help. Two dances raised £20.6s.4d and £29.4s.0d respectively.

August 1954

Materials supplied by Committee to paint Pavilion etc, labour supplied by Clubs.

June 1955

Organisations to be represented on Management Committee now: Tennyson FC, Town CC and Tennyson Institute. Management Committee (Council) to decide when to call non-council members.

Football Club paid half cost of new nets.

November 1955

Gas Board paid £15 way leave for main through field.

October 1956

Sunday games approved.

Spraying (weedkiller) by Cricket Club appreciated.

Debate re changing position of Football Pitch - present layout confirmed, and agreed that the best possible use of the field was being made.

Approval for practice concrete Cricket Pitch - Club to provide.

December 1957

Contract for extermination of moles.

May 1957

Gas points installed in Pavilion 1/- meter.

Further spraying by Cricket Club.

June 1957

Damage by Gas Main excavation made good - soil purchased - labour by Clubs. British Legion Football to use field - rent £10 pa. Cricket Club 10/- per match. Both to play after agreement with Chairman and present tenants re fixtures.

July 1957

Again confirmed position of Football Pitch.

July 1959

Marker purchased (that provided by football club had worn out!)

May 1960

Approval to let field for other purposes subject to field being cleaned afterwards and care of pitches exercised. Rent per occasion £5 and prior arrangements to be made with Clubs.

Approval for Sunday games confirmed.

October 1960

Roof repairs, requiring skilled labour carried out cost £47.9s.0d.

NOTES:

Initially Football Club provided a set of goal posts, nets, marker. They now provide the materials and pay a Groundsman to mark out etc.

The Cricket Club initially purchased matting as no Cricket Square was laid. By the use of seed marl, fertilisers (a small amount provided by the Council) and a LOT of hard work the square is now in good playing condition.

The Council purchased timber and a Cricket Club Vice President made and erected a scoring hut/store shed.

July 1961

Notice Boards were to be erected at North Kelsey Road entrance and Park at a cost of £29.15s11d.

February 1962

Resolved to purchase fertiliser for the Cricket Pitch playing surface.

April 1962

Ministry of Housing and Local Government requested details of £250 for Park expenditure.

May 1962

Complaints received regarding dogs fouling in the Park.

Letter from McQueen Ltd announcing increase in mowing charges to £3.10s.0d per cut. Clerk wrote to Cricket and Football Clubs thanking for their help in maintaining and preparing pitches.

November 1962

Resolved to obtain estimates for new tool shed as store room space was limited.

May 1963

It was resolved that a separate Council Playing Fields Committee be formed.

June 1963

An application to use the field for a Catholic rally in July was granted.

July 1963

First meeting of newly formed Playing Fields Committee. Cllr H A Frankish elected Chairman.

A scheme for showers and toilets should be looked into as early as possible.

February 1964

Complaints were received about a car being parked overnight in the Kelsey Road Playing Field and a local "beat group" using the Pavilion for practice. The Clerk said he would see both "offences" were discontinued.

March 1964

The Council to provide a scorers hut at the cost of £25, provided Caistor Cricket Club would erect and equip the hut.

Cllr Frankish said the cost of the hut would be £30 and approval was given.

September 1964

Cllr Frankish given approval to buy new goal posts!

October 1964

Expenditure on Playing Field had been £141.l3s.8d for the year ending 31st March 1964.

February 1965

An application by Mr Ellerby to connect surface water drain from six houses on the Western side of Hansard Crescent to a rain water drain in the field was received favourably, but approval was deferred until plans were available.

March 1965

It was agreed to purchase the following for the Cricket square:

2 qt moss destroyer £7 10 0

2 qt Super Turf A fertiliser £4 10 0

1 qt clover side selected

weed killer £ 2 2 0

£14 2 0

Authority given to Chairman to purchase paint for the Pavilion and hut. Work to be carried out by members of Cricket and Football Clubs.

September 1965

After fertilisation and weedkiller, the Chairman Cllr H A Frankish reported that the Cricket Square had changed beyond all recognition and was now comparable to the best squares in the Grimsby area.

Approval was given for Lincs Motors Football Club to use the field on Sunday mornings on the same terms as the previous year.

December 1965

Council again asked Caistor RDC if they could let part of the old sewerage field as an extension to the existing field.

February 1966

RDC letter to say they adhere to their previous decision to allow for an extension when the architect had prepared a layout for the development of the old sewerage field.

March 1966

At a public meeting it was asked if the Council were satisfied about sanitation in the field? It was stated that no complaints had been received.

July 1966

Tates Ltd were to hire the Cricket Pitch at a cost of £1 by arrangement with the Cricket Club.

The second XI of the Football Club had entered the Sunday League.

September 1966

Letter from RDC showing land on sewerage field was available for extension of existing Playing Field. Parish Council asked if it could be leased at a nominal one shilling per year.

New nets cost £15 for the football goal.

October 1966

District Valuer assessed £600 compensation should be paid by Mr Ellerby for connection to drains in field. He had in the circumstances made alternative arrangements.

Problems with casual teams using the pitches.

November 1966

County Planning Officer said any sanitary accommodation would have to be 50ft back from the footpath boundary.

RDC rejected the offer to let the sewerage field at one shilling per year. Needed to have proper valuation.

February 1967

District Valuer gives a value of £120 at £10pa rent for the 30ft by 489ft section of the sewerage field. It was agreed to purchase for £120.

It was agreed to ask for 3¼ acres North of the existing field to be earmarked for Playing Field extension.

April 1967

Playing Field Development Committee formed. Decided to acquire a temporary building so hockey and football teams could play at the same time.

Extension to Playing Field was levelled and seeded and a hedge removed at a cost of £35.

June 1967

The temporary hut (still there) measuring 20ft by 40ft would be erected in line with existing building so that a toilet block could be erected between, in order to save the outside walls.

The newly acquired land could be fenced at a cost of £259. The RDC asked the Parish Council to pay.

September 1967

A larger and better hut had been donated by Nettleton Mines Welfare Club. the Development Committee had spent £70 on new materials and the Hockey Club provided curtains.

The new building was insured for £400.

October 1967

YEB were asked for estimates to heat and light the new Pavilion.

To date the Development Committee had raised £92.7s.6d.

December 1967

Caistor Ladies Hockey Club requested a grant of £15.10s.0d for new goal nets.

January 1968

Drawings had been prepared for the new toilet block.

Approval was given for a licensed bar tent to be erected on the Sports Field for Whit Monday.

March 1968

Cllrs H A Frankish, L A Clark, M A Drakes, A H Phillippe, J I Marriott and A_W_King were elected to the Park and Sports Committee.

December 1968

Caistor Town Cricket Club applied to use the field for the 1969 season.

March 1969

At the Annual Meeting it was considered that due to the growing number of children in the area around the Sports Field, (Kelsway Estate recently opened), the possibility of extending the field to include a games area and practise area. Toilets were still under consideration to be provided as soon as possible.

July 1969

It was resolved that Mr G Collins the owner of the land adjoining the Sports Field be asked if it was available for sale and at what price.

September 1969

Mr Collins replied that land comprising 12½ acres was not for sale!

October 1969

Plans were to be drawn up at the cost of £5 for showers and toilets.

November 1969

Rothwell Archery Club were given permission to use the field at a cost of 5/- per session, after much discussion about the safety of children in the field.

Electricity was to be connected to the Pavilion at a cost of £16.

February 1970

Work was due to start on the showers and toilets on 14th February 1970.

March 1970

Pitch rents were discussed at great length. One local Football Club had two teams but paid only one annual rent, it was proposed to charge them two annual rents.

April 1970

Footings and drainage work had been completed on the toilet and shower block, but it was discovered that the Gas Reducer Valve was under where the new building was to be located. The Gas Board were to be contacted to move it at an estimated cost of £5.

May 1970

The Gas Board had made a very poor job of moving the valve and the cost had been £25.

June 1970

The Park and Playing Fields Committee was to be separated into two and the Playing Fields were to be known as the "Sports Ground".

Work still progressing on the showers and toilets.

September 1970

Gas Board had now completed work to a satisfactory standard.

Brickwork had been completed on the new toilet and shower block, roofing was going on followed by the plumbing.

November 1970

A new Notice Board was to be erected stating "All dogs to be kept on a lead and not allowed to foul the ground".

January 1971

Royal Insurance were to charge £15.4s.2d to insure property and contents for £2,500.

March 1971

Toilet and shower block now roofed and watertight. Internal work to commence.

April 1971

Mr G Collins wrote to the Council saying he was now willing to sell the 12½ acres of land adjoining the Sports Ground, but not part of it.

July 1971

Toilets were now usable. Hot water was to be installed by the Gas Board at a cost of £85.55 (decimal pricing). Showers were too expensive at this time but feet could be washed if required!

The land owner (Mr Collins) would not accept the District Valuers valuation for the piece of his land (12½ acres).

August 1971

The Lindsey Association of Parish Councils advised that it may be necessary to Compulsory Purchase the adjoining field.

June 1972

Special Meeting of the Town Council held to discuss proposed purchase of land. The owner’s Solicitors had advised that the Council’s offer for the land would now be acceptable.

A sub-committee of Cllrs E W Clilverd, H A Frankish and A W King was formed to deal with ‘urgent matters!’

Enquiries had been made by other Lincolnshire teams to use the Sports Ground as it now compared more than favourably with other grounds which were available.

July 1972

A complaint was received from Mr Blanchard of Ayscough Grove about footballs coming over into his garden.

September 1972

The Council confirmed a shower unit could be ordered, as with the rest of the construction of the toilet and shower block, the labour would be available free of charge.

Full Planning Permission had been given for the extension to the Sports Ground, with conditions to make suitable arrangements for car parking, and no vehicular or pedestrian access would be allowed from Brigg Road. The Clerk was instructed to go ahead with arrangements to obtain money and complete the contract.

October 1972

Arrangements were in hand to erect a catch net to stop footballs straying into neighbouring gardens, at no cost to the Council.

December 1972

After eighteen months of trying, the roadside hedge had now been cut.

Purchase of Land

1 Money had been received from the Public Works Loan Board and the contract completed with the Solicitor.

2 Letter received from YEB saying that overhead cable would have to be resited in the interest of safety.

3 Meeting to take place with NFU to agree plan for taking over the land.

4 Bates and Mountain (Solicitors) wrote asking if any land was available for sale for building?

February 1973

The donated net to stop footballs going into neighbouring gardens could not easily be erected. It was agreed to purchase a more suitable one at a cost of £15.

Timber was to be purchased to replace the existing tables and chairs which were in a very poor state, at a cost of approximately £30. Labour to be provided free of charge.

April 1973

The temporary Football Pitch was unsafe for running and required rolling and disc harrowing.

June 1973

Permission was given to Caistor Tennyson Football Club to use the pitch for the coming year, in view of the amount of voluntary work carried out it was decided not to increase the rent.

September 1973

Permission was given for the purchase of materials to repair the floor of the Pavilion. The Chairman said this building would need quite substantial repairs in the near future and asked the Council to consider this or alternatively to provide a new building.

Cllr Broddle reported that there were mole hills in the field, the Chairman said he would look into them!

May 1974

Repairs to the Pavilion were worse than first feared and were to cost £53.93, all labour had been provided by the Cricket Club.

September 1974

Discussion took place regarding ground rents. It was decided they should remain the same, taking into account the large amount of work undertaken in preparation and maintenance of the pitches by the clubs.

Forty to fifty square yards of turf were required at a cost of 22p per square yard!

January 1975

The Gas Water heater was being damaged by frost and was now no longer considered suitable. It was to be replaced by an electric one costing £60.

June 1975

The YEB agreed to resite existing overhead cables underground between the old and new playing fields.

The Clerk was instructed to get a blown up plan of the fields in order that ideas could be formulated as the layout of the areas.

A special meeting was held to discuss the layout of new Sports Ground, around fifty people attended. Ideas mooted included an all weather flood-lit pitch, a dog walk, another football pitch was considered essential, tennis courts were a must, an attendant and full time groundsman would be required, seating for the elderly, a bowling green, hockey pitch, pitch and putt course, adventure playground for children and a small Club House.

September 1975

The Clerk to make formal application to WLDC for access to the new playing area from the Brigg Road and a pedestrian access to the new site from Varlow Road.

An application also to be sent to WLDC to resite the playground equipment now in Kelsway into the new area.

November 1975

Special meeting held with all interested parties. It was agreed the following facilities be included in the plan, part of which may well be in the longer term:

1 Two football pitches.

2 Free-play area.

3 Children’s playground/adventure playground.

4 Cricket pitch.

5 Bowling green.

6 Two tennis courts.

7 Pitch and putt course.

8 Strong high wall for tennis/football practice.

9 Dog walk.

10 Car park.

11 The present Pavilion to remain in-situ, but a new Pavilion with adequate space and facilities to be built.

12 Area for cricket nets.

December 1975

The Clerk reported subject to certain requirements, permission would be granted by LCC and WLDC for access to the new sports area from Brigg Road.

May 1976

A suggested layout plan of the new area was received from the National Playing Fields Association. The matter was left in abeyance until Grant information had been received.

June 1976

It was reported that cattle had been straying onto the new part of the sports area. Cllr Sutton was commended for forming an under 13 Cricket Team and on the success they had achieved.

October 1976

The Caistor Tug-of-War Team applied to use part of the Sports Ground to practice.

January 1977

A special Public Meeting was held to discuss aspects of the new Sports Ground.

It was proposed to raise the required money be Precept with a special Local Rate of 2½ - 3p in the pound over the next two years. The vote was carried by a large majority with one against and one abstention.

It was agreed that tenders be invited with a view to commencing the first stage of drainage and grading to start as soon as possible.

April 1977

Two letters were received from local residents complaining of danger and annoyance caused by golfers, causing balls to fall into their property in a dangerous manner.

June 1977

A meeting was convened to open three tenders (of five sent out) for development of the new Sports Ground.

It was resolved a tender from Welbourn Sportsground Ltd be accepted.

September 1977

A donation of £400 from the Jubilee Committee was received to purchase a games wall to be erected in the new 4 acre sports area.

February 1978

The Mayor, Cllr Mrs M A Drakes was to arrange a sponsored walk in aid of the Sports Ground Development Fund.

May 1978

Members noted with some concern that the drainage work on the new sports area is not showing much progress. The rainy season may have caused some delay, but this had now become excessive.

June 1978

A resident asked if the wild orchids, which are quite rare, growing in part of the new sports area could be preserved.

July 1978

Cllr Mrs Drakes reported that the sponsored walk had raised around £750 for the Sports Ground Development Fund.

The Chairman asked the Council to record their pride and appreciation at the efforts of the Caistor Primary School Cricket Team, under the tuition of Cllr_T_R_Sutton, when they had won the Four Counties Cricket Festival Championship of the Midlands.

November 1978

New goal posts and accessories had been delivered and erected by voluntary labour. However, residents of Ayscough Grove had complained of noise nuisance and fears of damage to property.

February 1979

The fence at the Southern end of the old sports field required erection of considerable lengths of Lincolnshire Fencing. The Clerk was to obtain estimates.

March 1979

The next major stage of the Sports Ground development must necessarily include the purchase of a new Pavilion and this would probably cost around £12,000. Cllr B H Wright suggested the name ‘Jubilee Playing Fields’ for the new development.

April 1979

The Clerk had applied for a grant of £10,000 from WLDC towards to the cost of a new Pavilion. A reply had been received stating that such funds were minimal but the possibility of a loan should be pursued.

LCC could not help with Grant aid towards the cost of a new Pavilion.

Plans were laid before the Council by a local resident to erect squash courts costing £60,000 in a corner of the Sports Ground, the Council were requested to leave land for the project which was reportedly both necessary and profitable.

After a sub-committee meeting the Clerk was instructed to purchase from En-Tout-Cas

1 set 3 seat swing

1 junior zigzag tower

1 non bumper see-saw

1 free-standing slide 3m x 9m

1 aluminium seat

Cost around £1,250

July 1979

Residents of Hansard Crescent complained that the height of the new slide interfered with their privacy and that noise from children was causing annoyance.

October 1979

Mr E Blackburn of Horncastle Road had once again carried out free of charge, the spraying of weedkiller in the field using his own tractor and equipment.

November 1979

Over the winter months, Mr Arbon, County Arborist had agreed to plant 30 trees in the Sports Ground.

The Council agreed in principle to sell a piece of land for a squash court, subject to various conditions and a price to be agreed with the District Valuer.

February 1980

The District Valuer recommended that the squash court land be sold to Mr_Price to for £12,500.

Requests for suggested names for the sportsfield include "Tennyson Sportsfield", "Jubilee Field" and "Roman Field".

June 1980

The Council Lottery Committee were to raise funds for the development of Sports Ground equipment.

Vandalism was causing problems.

September 1980

The culprit who had damaged windows in the Pavilion had been caught and charged £10 to defray the costs of repairs. They had also been severely cautioned by the Police. Since this there had been a considerable improvement in behaviour around the buildings.

October 1980

The GPO were considering moving the Telephone Exchange from North Street to the new Sports Ground.

November 1980

It was resolved that the unsightly veranda on the old Pavilion should be removed to avoid attraction to groups who caused much damage.

A complaint was received from Wing Commander P J West MBE about weeds spreading to his garden from the Sports Ground.

It was noted that Cllr H A Frankish, Chairman of the Sports Ground had received a ‘Service to Sport Award’.

January 1981

A Mole catcher was urgently required. The Clerk was instructed to take such steps as necessary to find a suitable person.

February 1981

Mr S Hand of Westbrook Grove had been appointed as mole catcher at the nominal figure of £20 per annum.

March 1981

Many complaints had been received about the apparent ineffectiveness of the drainage of the new Football Pitch which was now unplayable and would have to be transferred to the old area. The District Council were to be asked for advice.

April 1981

The old Telephone Exchange had been purchased for £400 from the District Council and transported and re-erected by the Job Creation Scheme workers as an additional dressing room.

A representative of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries had visited and made a thorough inspection and tests. His recommendations were read to the Council but little could be done until the ground had dried out.

May 1981

The Chairman reported that a considerable amount of work had been carried out by Mr Ernie Allison and others in conjunction with alterations and repairs to the Sports Pavilion, removal of the cricket score hut, goal posts and various other jobs.

The Clerk was instructed to order a new Notice Board for erection at the Brigg Road entrance to the new sports area to bear the word "Caistor Sportsground".

July 1981

The idea of a new Pavilion was mooted again, although the cost of one from manufacturers would prove prohibitive. Voluntary labour might well be recruited in the Town to draw up plans and erect a suitable multi-purpose building over a period of years.

September 1981

The District Council officials and Manager of the Community Enterprise Programme were to be asked for advice about a new Pavillion.

January 1982

It was resolved that in view of the great amount of work carried out by members of various clubs using the ground, their efforts to keep pitches in excellent condition and the new equipment they regularly purchased, that no further rents be collected, but donations would be acceptable.

February 1982

The proposal for a new squash court was now abandoned.

July 1982

A request to hold a Tug-of-War Competition on the Sports Ground was granted.

It was reported a number of motor cycles had been seen using the field, the Police were asked to attend to this matter.

September 1982

The Clerk investigated possible Grant aid for a new Pavilion and the Council would have to find approximately £7,500 to qualify for a Grant. It was decided costing be obtained to build the required Pavilion.

December 1982

The Clerk reported that no rate relief could be obtained on the Sports Ground as the Pavilions were kept locked.

February 1983

Anglian Water had reported their meters had been checked and no leaks found, consumption of water was said to be low.

July 1983

At a special meeting of the Council a scheme was outlined by the Manpower Services Commission and the YMCA for the development of a new Pavilion. It was reported that the costing for materials only had been put at £17,320, of this amount the MSC and the YMCA could provide £13,500 leaving a balance of £3,820. It was carried unanimously that this amount should be required to be made available.

October 1983

Proposals were put forward for a BMX cycle track within the Sports Ground.

Mr E W Clilverd submitted that the Sports Ground be called "Frankish Field" as Cllr Frankish had so much interest the field over the past years. The Council decided it should remain the Sports Ground and perhaps reconsider it at the next Public Meeting.

New goal posts had been provided by local clubs.

May 1984

There was new hope of free labour available to build the new Pavilion. Money for materials might be required later. Plans to be on show at the next Council Meeting.

June 1984

Water to the Cricket Square had now been laid by the Cricket Club.

The Clerk had applied for Planning Permission for a BMX track but was informed that change of user was also required.

July 1984

The Annual Tug-of-War Gala was to be held on 5th August with most of the proceeds going towards the Pavilion fund.

October 1984

It was still hoped a start would be made on the new Pavilion at the end of October. Building Regulations approval had been obtained at a cost of £50 and another £153 would be payable when work commenced.

November 1984

Work had started on 29th October 1984 and was going well under the supervision of Mr Brian Sturdy.

January 1985

Work on the new building was proceeding well and during bad weather windows were being made undercover, the hedge bottoms were also being cleared by the workers.

February 1985

The Bowling and Tennis Clubs had shown enthusiasm in the new Pavilion project and estimates were awaited for the provision of Tennis Courts and Bowling Greens in the Sports Ground.

Cllr R J Lowis reported the BMX track to be almost non-existent.

June 1985

Work on the new building still progressing well. The MSC may be able to provide some hardcore for the making of the BMX track.

July 1985

The Chairman reported a new variety of orchid had now appeared on the sportsfield.

September 1985

The topping out ceremony for the new building received much press publicity, misleading people into thinking the building was now complete. This was far from the truth. It was agreed to lease part of the sportsground to the Caistor Hillside Bowls Club.

October 1985

The Tennis Club had also applied for a lease for part of the Sports Ground. The Grant from WLDC towards the new building still had not been received despite the building being inspected.

October 1985

The Chairman reported that Solaglas Ltd of Hull had provided all the glass and fitted it free of charge in the Pavilion which could now be secured. Application had been made for second phase of £10,046.

November 1985

A new Management Committee would be needed to run the new Pavillion. The Lincs Association of Local Councils were to be asked for a specimen constitution.

December 1985

The Tennis Club proposed a third court to be adopted for all weather games. It was proposed to proceed with the existing application for two Tennis Courts and a Bowling Green as previously agreed.

January 1986

Twenty-one year leases were granted to both the Bowls Club and the Tennis Club. The Chairman reported that the MSC and the YMCA would hand over the new Pavilion to the Town on 24th January 1986 at 2pm.

February 1986

The new Management Committee would constitute two members from each user club, plus two Town Councillors.

March 1986

The new Committee had bought a set of bar equipment which would furnish the Pavilion, together with tables chairs and lighting.

Estimates were obtained to make a proper roadway into the field.

April 1986

The Bowls Club were to move the old Telephone Exchange to make it into a new Bowls Pavilion.

The Chairman estimated the development in the field over the past two years at over £100,000 and stated it was something to be proud of.

May 1986

Soil had now been moved onto the BMX track which could now be used.

The cost of clearing existing drains would be £250, a new diagonal drain across the field would cost £150.

June 1986

Lincolnshire CC had now passed the Pavilion for use by a Playgroup.

The Lincolnshire U15 County side were to play two games of cricket on 15th June and 21st June 1986.

July 1986

The Tennis Courts were reported to be being used daily and the licensed bar within the Pavillion was now operational.

September 1986

Mrs Fraser the Divisional Superintendent of the St John’s Ambulance Service wrote asking if they could paint and repair the interior of the old Pavillion and use as their Headquarters.

British Gas were to sink a new pipeline along the Northern boundary of the Sports Ground.

January 1987

Twenty five free trees were to be delivered from WLDC.

March 1987

At the Annual Town Meeting it was reported that the new Sports Ground is now used by 2 football clubs, Cricket Club, Tennis Club, Bowls Club, Playgroup, Toddler Group, Ballet and St John’s Ambulance. It was also suggested a proper surfaced car park was required.

September 1987

T Atkinson and Sons of North Kelsey Moor and Caistor Lions both applied to use the Cricket Pitch for matches, both granted.

Surface water from Brigg Road was running into the field and damaging the Sports Ground road.

January 1988

The Caistor Town Cricket Club was to receive the Wilkinson Sword Award.

March 1988

The Sports Ground continued to provide excellent facilities for the Town. The bottom four acres had been brought into good use. The un-cut area provided a good crop of orchids. Visiting players and officials were complimentary and indeed envious of the sports Pavilion which was run by the Sports and Social Club. This had been self-financed and as cash became available it had been used to maintain and provide facilities.

April 1988

It was reported that Wayne Noon (a local boy) had now gone to play professional cricket for Northamptonshire.

May 1988

The Sports and Social Club Committee were thanked for their work during the year. They had recently had the furniture in the Pavilion recovered.

June 1988

Moles were reported to be on the move again!

The Chairman reported that a cricketer had kindly done a lot of work around the ground, grass cutting and strimming.

July 1988

Help was to be sought on maintenance of the wild flower, area including the orchids. A new score hut and storeroom was estimated to cost £2,000, Grants to be sought.

September 1988

Water draining from the Tennis Court was making the Cricket Pitch very wet. Prices were to be obtained for the extra drainage required.

November 1988

The Cricket 2nd XI had been accepted into the Lincolnshire League. WLDC had made a grant of £500 towards the score hut.

February 1989

The mole catcher, Mr Hand, was reported to have done a good job and it was agreed that his salary be increased from £25 to £50 per year.

Cleethorpes Cricket Club had offered a tractor and gang mower for £700.

March 1989

The tractor and gang mower had been purchased at a cost of £805 including VAT and would make considerable savings on the cost of ground maintenance.

April 1989

To help with the wild flower "conservation" area the council were to become members of the Lincolnshire and South Humberside Trust for Nature Conservation, when an officer would visit and give advice.

Barrowby (Grantham) Parish Council wrote asking if they could visit our Sports Ground as they were about to embark on a similar venture.

July 1989

The keys to the new store hut/scoreboard were handed over and all who had helped were thanked.

January 1990

Wayne Noon had been picked to Captain England (U19) on a tour of Australia.

May 1990

Complaints were received from a local resident regarding the new score hut.

September 1990

A letter was read asking for permission to play football on Sunday afternoons for boys under 12 years of age. A league had been entered for the first time.

October 1990

Following complaints about the score hut, WLDC advised that it should be painted and landscaped. The Cricket Club had spent £250 on the Cricket Square.

November 1990

A donation of £30 was received from Caistor Rovers Football Club. The Cricket score hut was to be painted Lovet Green.

March 1991

Prices were to be obtained for tarmacing the roadway into the Sports Ground and advice was to be sought from LCC on the entrance.

April 1991

Three tenders were received for the new road and car park for the Sports Ground. It was resolved to accept the quote from R J Baker of £3,558.66.

A Caistor Fair was to be held on the Sports Ground on 21st July 1991.

May 1991

New notice boards were to be provided for both the North Kelsey Road and Brigg Road entrances.

June 1991

The football goal mouths had been returfed, the work mostly carried out by helpers of the Crusaders Junior Football Club.

Safety Surfaces were to be provided for all play equipment in the Sports Ground.

July 1991

The slide was to be removed due to it becoming unsafe. An application by Solaglas Colts to use the Football Pitch was refused as they were a non Caistor team.

September 1991

The removed slide was to be replaced.

It was voted by seven votes to three that a pond should be made in the wild life area of the Sports Ground.

November 1991

After heavy rain a new hole had been filled three times, prices for a new drain and resurfacing the rest of the car park were to be obtained.

December 1991

The new pond (financed by Local Authority Grants) had been completed and would be planted in the Spring.

May 1992

The car park surface and drainage were completed at a cost of £4,700.

June 1992

The Tennis Club asked if the Council would object to the installation of floodlights. No objections were raised but the opinion of neighbouring residents was to be sought. The Fire Service Social Club requested the use of the Cricket Pitch for a charity match.

July 1992

Safety Surfacing had been installed under all play equipment.

The Bowls Club wrote thanking the Council for the new car park surface.

September 1992

The Sports and Social Club Management Committee donated £500 to the Council to help with the cost of the car park surface.

October 1992

The Twinning Committee requested the use of the Pavilion to entertain guests from the Twin Town of Savigné L’Évêque in France.

November 1992

A new linemarker was to be purchased at a cost of £105.

February 1993

A request to use the Cricket Pitch was received from the English Schools Cricket Board for a festival from26th-30th July 1993, which would attract teams from all over England.

March 1993

The Cricket Square was to be wormed, top dressed and the whole field was to be fertilised at a cost of £736 plus VAT.

April 1993

Caistor Rovers Football Club wrote asking if their 2nd XI would be allowed to use the pitch.

June 1993

The pond was to be refilled by the Fire Service after it had mostly evaporated.

September 1993

Caistor Crusaders Junior Football Club asked if a third team could use the pitch. It was felt that they would be more suited to the smaller practice pitch in the lower four acres. It was decided that the practice wall should be demolished and up to £500 made available to improve the playing surface.

October 1993

The practice wall had been removed by Hurdiss Equipment and work-men free of charge. As soon as a dry spell of weather arrived the area would be returfed.

November 1993

The new Football Pitch had now been turfed by helpers of Caistor Crusaders and looked well. Cllr Ellis was thanked for providing corner flags.

January 1994

The Cricket Club requested permission to site two practice nets on the field. Grants had been obtained including one from Caistor Grammar School

February 1994

New goalposts had been erected on the second Football Pitch at a cost of £258.50. A £50 donation was received from Caistor Crusaders towards the cost.

April 1994

At the Annual Town Meeting the users of the Sports Ground were reported to be:

Caistor Cricket Club (5 teams)

Caistor Tennyson Football Club

Caistor Rovers Football Club (2 teams)

Caistor Crusaders Junior Football Club (3 teams)

Caistor Hillside Bowls Club (5 teams)

Caistor Lawn Tennis Club (3 teams)

Indoor Bowls

Rainbow Playgroup

Rainbow Toddler Group

Caistor Amateur Theatrical Society

Darts and Dominoes Team

July 1994

Cherry Valley were to be asked if they would consider selling the land bordering the Western edge of the Sports Ground.

October 1994

Steps leading from the Pavilion to the field (down the bank) and a ramp allowing disabled access to the Pavilion were installed at a cost of £1,254.74.

November 1994

The Council investigated purchasing the 13 acre field adjoining the Northern boundery of the Sports Ground.

December 1994

Dog Fouling was becoming a major problem. Dog bins should be considered.

March 1995

The new steps had suffered from some vandalism.

It was decided to ask the owner of the 13 acre field to the Northern boundary of the Sports Ground if he would consider selling it.

April 1995

No reply had been received from Mr Harrison the owner of the field to the North of the Sports Ground as to whether he would sell or not.

It was agreed to revise the mole catchers payment to £60.

June 1995

Dog bins had arrived and would be erected by volunteers.

Strimming had been done and hedges cut by members of the Bowls, Cricket, Football and Tennis Clubs.

September 1995

Caistor had won the West Lindsey Inter-Village Sports Competition under the management of Cllr E R Ellis. It was held at Market Rasen but would in 1996 be held in Caistor jointly at the Sports Ground and the new Sports Hall at Caistor Yarborough School.

October 1995

It was passed that the bottom four acres be levelled enabling another (junior) Football Pitch to be created.

December 1995

Caistor Town Cricket Club had gained promotion to the Lincolnshire Premier League for the first time in its history. The Ground needed to be of a very high standard to obtain this promotion and the Council acknowledged the work of the volunteer groundsmen, Mr E Allison (Cricket) and Mr J Marshall (Bowls) who maintain their respective grounds to a very high standard.

A celebration was held at the Pavilion for the winning team from WLDC Inter-Village Sports Tournament.

February 1996

Caistor Town Cricket Club applied to display advertising boards, 12’ x 2’6". They were also investigating the cost of an artificial wicket of £5,000.

The Sports and Social Club were to have the showers renovated and refurbished and the Pavilion would be internally decorated.

April 1996

Caistor Rovers Sunday Football first XI were promoted to the 1st Division of the Grimsby Sunday League for the first time in their history. The Cricket Club received the Wilkinson Sword Award (first time any club had received it twice).

June 1996

A request was received from the Cricket Club for permission to extend the score hut/store to allow the large collection of maintenance equipment to be stored inside.

September 1996

Caistor retains the WLDC Inter-Village Sports Competition which was held jointly on the Sports Ground and at Caistor Yarborough School.

A letter was received requesting the total banning of dogs in the Sports Ground, after much discussion it was decided this would punish legitimate dog walkers and could not be enforced.

December 1996

The roundabout is considered to be nearing the end of its useful life, a replacement would cost £4,950.

February 1997

The Council voted by 9 to 2 not to allow a tree planting scheme by the Cricket Club to divide the field.

April 1997

The Tennis Club needed a third court and it was decided to pursue again the purchase of the 13 acre field adjoining the Sports Ground to the Northern boundary.

May 1997

Caistor Amateur Theatrical Society were no longer using the old Pavilion and permission was granted for the Scouts to use it as their headquarters.

June 1997

The Sports and Social Club accounts show that the Club has raised approximately £6,000, which has gone into maintenance and improvements within the area.

September 1997

The Caistor Town Cricket Club had a very successful season and had won the Lincolnshire Premier League.

February 1998

A new sit-on mower was purchased for the Sports Ground at a cost of £875.

May 1998

A touring team from West Sussex visited Caistor Hillside Bowls Club and were most impressed with the facilities especially the prices at the bar!

Two years supply of fertiliser had accidentally been applied to the Football and Cricket Pitches in one application.

June 1998

Grass reported to be growing very well!! Cricket Pitch needed cutting every three days.

July 1998

Lincolnshire second XI played Notts second XI and the Chairman of the Lincs League commented that the ground was now ready for a full County Game!

November 1998

The pond liner had now been removed and backfilled and would be left to settle naturally, when the Scouts had agreed to plant around it.

February 1999

It was reported that the Cricket Club had received Lottery and other Grants to the sum of £14,500 for improvement works to the existing nets and to lay a new artificial wicket.

March 1999

The nets and artificial wicket had been completed prior to the start of the new Cricket Season.

Glossary of Abbreviations

RDC - Rural District Council (Caistor)
YEB - Yorkshire Electricity Board
NFU - National Farmers Union
WLDC - West Lindsey District Council
LCC - Lincolnshire County Council
GPO - General Post Office
YMCA - Young Mens Christian Association
MSC - Manpower Services Commission